Gingivitis is a common oral health problem that affects many people in Auburn, WA, and around the world. It is an inflammation of the gums, usually caused by a buildup of plaque on the teeth. While gingivitis is a relatively mild condition, if left untreated, it can lead to more serious problems, such as periodontitis, tooth loss, and even systemic health issues. In this blog, we will discuss what gingivitis is, its causes, its symptoms, and how to treat it in Auburn, WA.
What is Gingivitis?
Gingivitis is a condition that results from the buildup of plaque on the teeth, which causes inflammation of the gums. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on teeth, especially around the gum line. If not removed by regular brushing and flossing, plaque can harden into tartar, which can only be removed by a dental professional.
Causes of Gingivitis
The primary cause of gingivitis is poor oral hygiene, which leads to the buildup of plaque and tartar on teeth. Other factors that can increase the risk of developing gingivitis include:
- Hormonal changes, such as during pregnancy or menopause
- Smoking or using tobacco products
- Certain medications that cause dry mouth or affect gum health
- Diabetes or other systemic diseases
- Genetic factors
- Symptoms of Gingivitis
The signs and symptoms of gingivitis may include:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bleeding gums, especially when brushing or flossing
- Bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Receding gums
- Loose teeth or a change in the way teeth fit together when biting down
- Pus between teeth and gums
Gum Disease (Gingivitis) Treatment in Auburn, WA
If you suspect that you have gingivitis, it is essential to seek treatment from a dental professional at First Smile Family Dental as soon as possible. The treatment for gingivitis typically involves a deep cleaning of the teeth and gums, called scaling and root planing. This procedure removes plaque and tartar from the teeth and smooths out rough spots on the roots of teeth, which can help prevent bacteria from accumulating in the future.
In addition to professional treatment, there are several steps you can take at home to help prevent and treat gingivitis, including:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing daily to remove plaque and food particles from between teeth
- Using an antiseptic mouthwash to kill bacteria and freshen breath
- Eating a healthy diet that is low in sugar and processed foods
- Quitting smoking or using tobacco products
- Managing any underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes
The best way to prevent gingivitis is to practice good oral hygiene habits daily, including brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting your Auburn dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups. Additionally, avoid smoking or using tobacco products, eat a healthy diet, and manage any underlying medical conditions that may affect gum health.
Take Control of Your Gum Health
Gingivitis is a common oral health problem that can lead to more serious issues if left untreated. Fortunately, it is also a condition that is preventable and treatable. If you are experiencing any symptoms of gingivitis, such as bleeding gums or bad breath, don’t wait to seek treatment from a dental professional in Auburn, WA. Schedule an appointment with First Smile Family Dental today so we can help you take back control of your gum health. With proper care, you can keep your gums and teeth healthy and avoid more severe dental problems down the line.
Posted on behalf of
32717 1st Ave S., Suite 9
Federal Way, WA 98003
Phone: (253) 785-7323
Email: [email protected]Mon, Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Tue, Wed: 9:00am - 7:00pm